In 1949

Shokotan Karate

Established after World War II

The JKA was established immediately after World War II, in 1949, with Grand Master Gichin Funakoshi, founder of the Shotokan school of karate, a Supreme Instructor. It was established as an organization whose purpose was to train true karate masters - to teach karate as a way of life. It was not established as an organization whoe purpose was merely to arrange matches.

In 1957, the JKA was approved by the Japanee Minitry of Education, under the Japanese legal ystem, as the sole nation-wide public corporation in karate with a tax-free legal status. Today the JKA is recognized all over the world as the largest and most important karate organization on earth. We are often compared to the Kodokan, the global center of judo. We have our own (wholly owned) four-tory headquarters building in the heart of central Tokyo, with more than 1,500 quare meters of floor space.

There we maintain a full-time staff of eighteen highly trained, highly paid professional instructors and three interns, under the supervision of the duly-elected Chief Intructor, Master Motokuni Sugiura.

Joomla Templates